Sunday, July 24, 2011

Kumang is smiling!

Dear Reader,

I am so very proud of Veeky-Leonora Andria, from Saratok, for winning the Kumang Borneo Hornbill 2011 Pageant in KL today!

As you can see from these pictures, Veeky-Leonora is dressed in original Iban fashion. She took my advice seriously and discarded the marik empang (beaded chest covering). Instead, she only wore the rawai tinggi (high corset) around her waist. Brave girl for taking a big leap!




Click on pictures to enlarge.

This is how the Iban goddess Kumang is dressed according to legend. And I am glad the judges agreed with me and with tradition!

Kumang must have smiled on Veeky-Leonora for bringing back the true fashion of our foremothers. Perhaps Kumang even whispered to the judges to award the prize to Veeky-Leonora?

You can read more about the original dress style of Kumang and Lulong at my old blog entries, QUINTESSENTIAL and Pemanah Ngepan Kelia vs. Ngepan Jai Diatu.

I have been campaigning for Iban girls to return to the original ‘look’ for two years now and I am happy that finally someone took up the challenge! And won!



I hope more Iban maidens will be inspired to dress in the ORIGINAL style of Kumang and Lulong.

3 comments:

robson jeelian said...

supppppeeerrb !!

Dayanglaing said...

Yes...We should be proud that the Original & Traditional Iban Costume is back alive again...:)

dellyne said...

no more pinky,red,orange pompom :-)